Pre-Eruption Guidance & Appliances
As your children begin to develop, you need to emphasize good dental heath and regular care. But no matter how great your children become at maintaining good oral hygiene, there are many natural factors that can be out of your (and their) control.
According to the best pediatric dentist in Jersey City, it’s actually the natural growth of teeth that can cause many unpreventable problems. Some issues your child may experience can be due to the following:
- Open bites. The front teeth do not come into contact with the back teeth when the child bites down. This can cause chewing problems.
- Protrusive lower jaw or under-bite. The upper teeth fall inside the lower teeth when biting down. This is typically caused by your child’s lower jaw being out of alignment with the rest of his face.
- The front teeth protrude further forward in relation to the lower teeth. Sometimes, an overbite may not appear to need correction, but over time, it can cause wear to the teeth.
- Cross bites. The upper jaw is narrower than the lower jaw. The upper teeth bite inside the lower teeth, causing chewing problems.
Catch Dental Issues Early
Your children’s teeth and face are still growing. The best kids dentist in Jersey City can work with that growth. But if you allow these symptoms to persist without professional intervention at an early age, there’s a greater chance for accidents to occur — front teeth that protrude too far can get broken — and in extreme cases, corrective jaw surgery may be required. By correcting these problems at an early stage, you’re giving your child a better chance at having a pleasant, problem-free smile.
Catching dental issues early helps because many problems can be resolved before they have a chance to worsen. Children aged seven to 10 are the ideal age to begin preventative treatments. Your dentist can watch for changes that predict future growth and potential dental challenges your child may experience at that age. Be sure to find the best pediatric dentist in Jersey City to advise you on what options are available.
Kids & Teens in our pediatric dentistry office in Jersey City will not be exposed to an unnecessary high dose of radiation.
Pediatric dentist Dr. Cohen use the most advanced 3D scanning equipment available in USA. Virtually immediate clinical results, diagnostic accuracy, decreased patient radiation without a reduction in image quality. Latest machine reduces the patient radiation dose by more than 77% in comparison to conventional AC units. Improved and accurate 3D diagnostics without being exposed to a higher radiation dose.
Common Benefits of Pre-Eruption Guidance
Consultations with the best pediatric dentist in Jersey City can result in pre-eruption guidance. This form of therapy can vastly reduce the need for more complicated orthodontic treatments in the future. Pre-eruption guidance — including the use of orthodontic appliances like braces and space maintainers — offer benefits to:
- Help prevent gum recession, which normally occurs on the front lower teeth
- Help in the prevention of abnormal shortening of the root in permanent teeth
- Control the sequence of eruption in the permanent front teeth
- Help minimize any abnormal teeth direction during eruption
- Prevent irregular positioning of permanent teeth, which helps relax the overcrowding that causes orthodontic relapse
- Reduce the need for future tooth extraction, which is a more complex procedure
How the Treatment Works
This form of therapy makes use of pre-eruption orthodontic appliances and sometimes the extraction of baby teeth, which allow your child’s permanent teeth to grow into correctly aligned positions. The best kids dentist in Jersey City can use these methods to align teeth more effectively. The alternative is waiting until after eruption and relying on braces that force the misaligned teeth into their correct positions.
Depending on which treatment your child needs, the orthodontic appliances may vary in design. In their most common form, they look similar to mouth guards that athletes wear. The process of pre-eruption guidance consists of two phases:
- Your child uses a soft silicone device that has tooth channels on the inside. It helps the pre-eruption guidance of the erupting teeth into alignment.
- The next phase consists of similar orthodontic appliances made from polyurethane, which is much firmer in construction. This forces the growing teeth to align and grow into their natural positions.
Using Pre-Eruption Appliances
For optimum pre-eruption guidance, the first appliance should be worn for one hour per day and while sleeping at night. Once the best pediatric dentist in Jersey City has seen an improvement in dental alignment, your child can switch to the second orthodontic appliances. These should be used daily, exactly as recommended, for about six to 12 months. The total duration is determined by check-ups during the process.
Although these orthodontic devices are easy to use, there are a few simple steps that help to maximize the benefits:
- While wearing the devices, your child’s lips should remain together at all times — except when speaking.
- You should see no lip activity when your child swallows. This aids the natural development of the front teeth.
- Your child should breath through the nose. This allows for correct alignment of the upper and lower jaws. It also achieves the correct alignment of the bite.
You can clean the devices by washing them in warm water each and every time your child removes it from his mouth. Twice a week, the device should be soaked and cleaned with cleaning tablets that you can get from the best kids dentist in Jersey City.
By following the recommended usage of these orthodontic appliances, your child can resolve other issues as well, namely:
- Abnormal swallowing habits
- Mouth breathing
- Finger or thumb sucking
Before you commit, it’s worth checking which pediatric dentist can offer the best service. The best pediatric dentist in Jersey City for your child’s care will not only explain the treatment in full, but also recommend a regular check-up and inform you of how your child’s dental care is improving. This dentist also advises if the treatment required is to correct any skeletal problems or dental problems, and in some cases, the treatment for both may be required.
Any device supplied by your pediatric dentist should be custom-made for your child. They not only help align the teeth, but also help align the jaws and help balance facial growth and structure. By using pre-eruption guidance and appliances early, any orthodontic care your child needs is minimized. Even if he does need braces, the time for orthodontic treatment can be shortened.
Do you have any questions about White Fillings for kids in Jersey City, NJ? Would like to schedule an appointment with nationally recognized, best New Jersey kids dentist, Dr. Mila Cohen of Pediatric Dental Care of New Jersey, please contact our office for consultation with leading kids dentist.
True Dental Care for Kids & Teens
Mila Cohen (NJ Kids Dentist)
255 Brunswick St, Ste 5
Jersey City, NJ 07302